Friday, January 16, 2009

Praises from the work crew!

Mark writes...

one thing that we haven't had are a lot of no-seeums bites.
Just every now and then. We have three working days left here.
Monday we will take the tour of the hospital. The Crane is done after we put up some roofing in the morning and we do have one beam left to place.


notes from Dave.........

Tonight, all of the short term workers here were invited to one of the missionaries houses for desert. Carolyn Thorson is my age and has been here for 33 years! There must have been 25 people at the desert. In addition to the 12 of us who are working on the building, there are two nurses who are serving here for 3 months and getting college credit for it. There is one doctor who is serving for three months as part of her internship in "rural medicine!" Believe me, this qualifies as rural!

We see all kinds of injuries coming through the hospital every day. I mean everything from broken legs to head injuries to quite a few HIV-Aids patients. I did learn from the missionary who is the head nurse that many of the people who come to the hospital have been to the witch doctor prior to coming. When they do not get better, they come to the hospital. Sometimes it is too late as their condition has become terminal. I also learned that in 2008 there were over 1700 people who made first time commitments to Christ during their stay in the hospital.


By the way, it really is jungle here. They hire locals to fight back the jungle with machetes every day. They work with a long stick in one hand to probe the bush for snakes and the machete in the other hand to cut the vegetation - or the snake if one happens to be there

Thanks for all your prayers!

We had just carried an 800 lb beam to a spot where the crane was to hook onto it and lift it up. Yes, we had more than the six of us do this! The five of us loaded it and unloaded it, but when it came to carrying it we got another 5 or 6 guys to join us! We needed to set it up on edge so that some pieces could be bolted onto it and then we were going to lay it down. I saw that the welder cables were in the way, so I said, "Wait a minute, let me get these cables moved."
I picked up the cables and then someone yelled, "Look out!" I felt something tug at my pant leg, and then I could not move my foot. They had rolled the beam and the corner of it had hit the back of my pant leg and tore the jeans and then pinned the back of my tennis shoe to the ground. People were pretty sure my foot had been crushed, but all that happened was my pants being torn and the shoe being pinned. At lunch, I took off my shoes and socks to let my feet cool down and I discovered that not only had my pants been torn, but a hole had been torn in my sock as well. HOWEVER, THERE WAS NOT EVEN A LITTLE SCRATCH ON MY LEG OR FOOT! I was praising God, and I am sure you see why I say I am grateful for your prayers for our safety.




it's begining to look like a steel building!



Jonathon bolting post in place.



Mark holding ladder for Mel, as he is trying to unhook the crane. That post is coming up from the x-ray room. It went in fairly easy, had a few challenges bolting the beams to the post but we get-r-done.









No comments: